Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Song Analysis of "Undying"

Demon Hunter is one of the best bands out there. The Clark brothers founded Demon Hunter in Seattle, Washington in 2000 as a project band. They play metalcore, alternative metal and nu metal. Their loud metal music hides the lyrics to their songs most of the time, and people fail to appreciate them. Demon Hunter looked towards bands like Machine Head and Living Sacrifice to motivate them and their song writing. Their christian background heavily influenced the Clark’s lyrics and made them what they are today, a popular christian metal band. Demon Hunter’s song “Undying” contains many infused hyperboles, creating a surrealism to Demon Hunter’s key points and their christian beliefs.


In the lines,“Ever since the day that I was made I've been deciding the end
And I was made of wood and stone that won't diminish or burn”, the narrator hasn’t literally been deciding the end ever since the day that he was made, he is saying that he has been creating his life/destiny ever since he was born. Wood and stone both diminsh and burn respectively, but the narrator uses the line to show that he is using his faith, which can never be diminished, to guide his life and create his destiny. The lines, “So when the heavy hand of death is here to take me away I'll be the solid grip of time, forever holding my stay”, the narrator again makes a reference to his destiny. He states that when its his time to die, he will be stopped forever in time trying to evade death. This also holds a spiritual reference to the never ending life given to you after you resurrect and ascend to heaven when you have died. In both cases life is never ending and the narrator tries to continue to shape his destiny.


The chorus, “One final heart-break And blinding lights will guide our way Free us our blind state They will call us by our name (repeat) Undying”, says that just one more heart-break is enough to end our lives. The meaning behind the chorus exageration is to explain the ascendence into heaven when you die to be judged. We are freed from a blind state by being given omnisciency and are called “Undying” by the angels guiding us to heaven. The title, which is mentioned in the chorus, states that we are immortal and will live forever. The true meaning behind this is that we will live forever beyond death because death is the beginning of a new life in which we are perfect and death can no longer occur. The lines, “Without the blood of perfect life I know I'm nothing at all So now I reign forever hallowed in eternity's hand No man can shake me from the everlasting ground that I stand”, state that the narrator is nothing without “blood of perfect life”. He is saying that without the sacrifice of Jesus, he would not be able to ascend to heaven or repent because Christ’s pure blood would not have been shed for him and his debts left unpaid by Christ. The narrator says that he is reigning forever in eternity’s hand and that the ground he stands on is everlasting and unshakeable by any man. The meaning behind this is that the narrator is doing what Gos is telling him to do and instructing others to do so as well. God gives him a firm foundation to stand upon, the everlasting ground, and his supreme faith in God is unshakeable. He feels that he is reigning over those that have, or are, falling away from God, and that God has given him the power to help them. This shows the eternity of the hand in which he reigns and how he is immovable and like an “Untouchable”.

The song “Undying” by Demon Hunter shows the bands impressive use of hyperboles and their strong connection to christianity. They use references to the crucifiction of Jesus and the powers of God to amplify their music, and create several hyperboles to infuse theminto the song as a whole. Demon Hunter uses the hyperbole of immortality to connect the song and provide a backbone for their key message. Demon Hunter uses the metal music backround in their work because it provides a way for people to listen to metal music without having to listen to some of the garbage and profanity of modern metal. Don and Ryan Clark use their christian heritage to empower their music and get todays youth to listen to spiritually uplifting, church-like music without losing the fundamentals of the music itelf. They allow for a belnd of two opposite things, metal music and church, that is in harmony with itself and still very popular in the community of metal music as a whole. They knew how to create christain music that would prosper and they did it very well through hyperboles and well written poetry often unappreciated by most, but sung the same as any normal song would be, forever masking it’s true nature.



Demon Hunter

Undying

Ever since the day that I was made I've been deciding the end
And I was made of wood and stone that won't diminish or burn
So when the heavy hand of death is here to take me away
I'll be the solid grip of time, forever holding my stay
Nobody ever made a force that took a beating like me
I call the earth and every scum to come and try to fight me
Cus when I made the choice to live beyond the dirt that we tread
I felt the curse of mortal limit fall before it was said

Pre-chorus:
When this season ends

Chorus:
One final heart-break
And blinding lights will guide our way
Free us our blind state
They will call us by our name
(repeat)
Undying

Tearing through these days I find the tolerance to strive and push on
I know what lies beyond this life for me is already won
No one can take away the blood that covers over my fall
Without the blood of perfect life I know I'm nothing at all
So now I reign forever hallowed in eternity's hand
No man can shake me from the everlasting ground that I stand

(Pre-chorus)

(Chorus)

We are the ones who will still remain when all is laid to waste
We are the ones who, when angels cry, will see them face to face
We are the ones
(Pre-Chorus)

(Chorus)

Undying

2 comments: